Thursday, April 17, 2008

dumb cyclists become hurt cyclists


D: this is for yesterday's post on too-wide parking merges. This one on Northfield is extremely dangerous for the sidewalk. I'd like to see very wide ogives like that across sidewalks banned.

D: is anybody reading this a cop or nurse? I'd be curious which spots result in the most accidents.

Don't assume I am automatically sympathetic with bad cyclists.
Sure, I occasionally break the rules.
For example, I am unwilling to cross the vast swath of Northfield during rush hour on a left hand turn onto Kumpf Drive. You see, I'm not suicidal.
If there was a place to take refuge mid lane I would.
I walk my bike across the crosswalk at Parkside, then cycle along that sidewalk. Sorry.

Conversely, I nearly got taken out by a cyclist last summer. I had right of way on Regina behind uptown on the way home. I had lotsa blinky lights. He came gunning on a hi-G turn off a side street without looking or slowing down at all. He missed me by a second.
Had he struck my bike, we would have had Words.

Here are a coupla Darwin Award candidates locally:

http://news.therecord.com/article/260918
"

A 64-year-old Kitchener man died yesterday afternoon after he fell off his bicycle.

Police said the man and another individual were riding their bicycles on the sidewalk on Strasburg Road near Bleams Road at about 5 p.m. when they encountered a pedestrian.

It's believed the man swerved to avoid the pedestrian, losing control of his bicycle, Waterloo regional police said.

He fell off, striking his head. He was not wearing a helmet."

http://news.therecord.com/article/274689

"CAMBRIDGE

An 18-year-old Cambridge cyclist has been charged with going through a red light in connection with a collision in Cambridge last month.

The crash occurred around 7:25 p.m. Oct. 31. The cyclist was westbound on Pinebush Road. The driver of a pickup truck was heading south on Franklin Boulevard at the same time.

The two collided in the intersection.

The cyclist was taken to the Cambridge Memorial Hospital with serious internal injuries. He was later transported to Hamilton General Hospital.

Waterloo regional police said the cyclist was wearing dark clothing and had no light on his bicycle."


http://news.therecord.com/article/257688

"MOUNT FOREST

A 23-year-old Palmerston cyclist is in serious condition in a London hospital after he was struck by a transport truck Tuesday morning on Highway 6.

The collision occurred shortly after 6:15 a.m. when the truck, travelling north on the highway just past Mount Forest, struck the cyclist who was also travelling north, Wellington OPP said.

Adrian Joseph Evans, the cyclist, was transported to hospital in Mount Forest and later airlifted to Victoria Hospital in London. He is listed in serious but stable condition, police said.

The truck driver, a 41-year-old Burlington man, was not injured.

Police said Evans was wearing dark clothing at the time. No charges have been laid in connection with the crash."

D: I selected cases where there was fault and a lack of safety on the part of the cyclists.

The theme is clear. No helmets, no lights, dark clothing at night, sometimes wrong lane or on the sidewalk.

I see these cyclists on King at night. They have slick 1000 buck racing frames, wear spandex, have an low-drag helmet ... and no 20 dollar bike light. Wow.
It's not like they lack the cash!

Not a popular opinion, but if one must ride at night, use the sidewalk if you have no light.

Sure, it's illegal- but you won't get as dead.

D: I talked to my bud about riding on the Highway on the tiny sliver of pavement on the outside of the lane. He pointed out that a transport truck with heavy uneven load can swing the trailer up to 2' side to side. I have a mountain bike so go onto the gravel when I hear a truck coming.

A meter-wide edge for cyclists sure would be nice.


D: tomorrow, just to balance the tables, we will talk about cyclist renegade advocates protesting car-is-king culture.


1 comment:

Dino Snider said...

Last year, I saw 2 bikes get creamed there. I called it.
And where are the city planners?
Asleep at the wheel.

The Sports Complex on Father David Bauer is similarly deadly.

The crossing at Westcourt and Westmount too.
The wide ogives favour a rolling stop and hi-G turn.